Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Arrow through my head.


You ever get something in your head and you can't stop thinking about it. Researching, planning, replanning? That happens to me too often, and now I am thinking about the Arrowhead to which I am on the roster. I really don't feel like losing digits or dying.

I had a friend ask me if I expected to be in the same shape as I was early this year. It could have been phrased differently as, "Are you going for the win?". Uh, no. The veterans of this race have a huge advantage mentally. They know what to expect. I don't care how good of shape anyone is in, this is not all pedal pedal.

Just trying to get all the gear is a battle in itself. Then it is what to bring for food/water. How to carry all of it. Where to carry it. Gotta make sure it does not freeze. Gotta make sure you don't freeze.

Order this, borrow that. Trying to do it on the cheap because the money tree in the back yard has yet to blossom.

Will my "plump" bike be a poor choice compared to the "fat" bikes?

Well, at least I managed to clean out the gutters. BTW.

3 comments:

Brian D said...

On paper this sounds pretty easy. 135 miles? Phttt. But then you look at prior winning times and calculate that their average speed was about 4-5 mph.

I agree with you. I don't think this race is won by who has the strongest legs.

J-No said...

Dude, I'm in the same boat, except I'm also scared about the training part. I need to get the shoe thing dialed. I agree with Brian D., although the winner will be pretty damn fit. What to eat on the bike, what to pack for food when I stop and start up the stove?

Anybody want to do lunch? Maybe some instant potatoes/shredded bacon in a ziploc? Add water, tear off a corner and enjoy?

Charly Tri said...

Yeah, black lake shoes are cool, black toes are not. J-no, we need to set a date for our secret ride/camp/ride events.

Caffeine helps burn fat. I figure I can do the whole event on caffeine pills alone.

Thinking, thinking, planning.