Monday, June 14, 2010

On all fours.

Once again, I found myself forced to the ground, not able to breath.  Thanks to me forgetting my inhaler and the extremely high humidity at the Sunburst Showdown in WI.  I was comfortably riding about 15th and looking to move up when the climb (very humid area) the second lap had me off the bike gasping.  I continued.  After the mowed single track (very humid area), it hit again with a vengeance; dizzy, weak, almost passing out.  After many minutes I got up and limped into the finish to DNF when I got hit again.  Forced to lay in shade, on a concrete slab, gasping uncontrollably, had me wondering if things like the Arrowhead are a good idea. 

6 comments:

Richard said...

Dude! Get the asthma under control. Not managing your asthma is serious, as you have now discovered. Next time you may have more serious consequences than a DNF. Now, off my soapbox. Get healthy.

Unknown said...

Cha Chi,
I've found that if I do a goofy breathing technique it sometimes helps clear my lungs. I've even started in warm up now. It is basically taking air in only through my nose as much as I can and then blowing it out as fast as I can through my mouth. I figured if it worked in Yoga it could work for me.
I also have to say that I've given up MTB racing because I just can't take in air no matter how much I suck on my inhaler. SUCKS!

Charly Tri said...

Richard, I have not been having problems at all with the inhaler. It was nice last week when my lungs were not what held me back on those Afton climbs. I need to get a couple more puffers to leave around.

Bobby, I'll have to try your technique.

FYI, I blame all of this on Obama.

Chris said...

Hey man -- You remember how that happened to me last year? Turns out it was a grass allergy, and Kewaskum is sort of the worst. place. ever. for it. Now that I'm here, there's a lot less grass, more ground cover under the trees -- and I can breathe through my nose again! May want to consider that as a possibility ...

Brian D said...

Totally off subject, but I want it to be known for the record that I did NOT buy a Gary Fisher in the last few days.

Ari said...

BuffDuluth suggested the Flovent for long term management, Albuterol for stopping the attack. I also take Zyrtec for the allergies. Have been doing a lot better this summer.
Ari
We met in April, in a motel room in Grinnell, Iowa.
Best.