Saturday, January 05, 2013

Finally, built bike pics

 So here she/he/it is.  My fancy schmancy prototype 186 9:zero:7 bike.  Notice how I keep throwing that prototype word around, it makes me so much cooler with every mention.  No, I didn't wrap it up in 100's and the 5"+ meats.  For what I do it is not needed.  I'll let the guys at the mother ship mess with the details of fitting the biggest of the big, as my job is to ride the snot out of it and hopefully knock out some good results.   So far I like it...a lot.  I can't imagine riding anything else.



 
 Now I am pretty big time ya know, but one company that doesn't support the "Charly Tri" brand name is Surly.  So in order to stick it to the man I drilled out my own rims, moving the valve hole to the rim joint.  Out of curiosity I weighed one of the rims; 800 grams.  Take that Surly you oppressive bastards!


Just in case there is any confusion, I labeled the top tube with one of those fancy name sticker jobbies.

So if you want some gear details, I made sure my seat/handlebars/stem were my favorite stuff (Bontrager).  I run 80mm rims, a great compromise between the big float when I need it and lighter weight when I don't.  Race Face cranks.  I run tape on the bars to protect the carbon when the sleeping bag is strapped on.  1x10 set up with a 32 front ring and a sram converted thumb shifter.  All the bags and such were taking off for some fun today.

Questions?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

And here I was going to ask you what fork you had with the 4.8 + tires. But you aren't that cool. So if not super fat tires why the need for the super fat rear? Just in case?

Charly Tri said...

Because I can and just in case. It is easier getting a 4" tire into this frame as opposed to a 4.8" into a standard frame.

Anonymous said...

How much does that fat piece weigh? Looks to be more than a Brear grease.....

Charly Tri said...

Honestly, I don't know. I try to make a light bike without going to extremes, but at the end of the day, what the scale finally says isn't going to change my opinion of the bike. I did get the lightest tires out there, and yes I weighed 6 different ones, but that was partially because I was verifying the claimed weight (not close), and was at the shop where a scale is handy. I drilled out my own rims because of cost, using the same size hole as stock rims. Others have gone much bigger with more weight savings, but that was not my ultimate goal. I weighed only one rim just to see where I ended up. According to B.A. Baracus (B. Moore), my bike weighs AT LEAST 30.5lbs. I was curious how he got to that claim since I had the bike only half specced and built at that moment, but he is a fancy engineer and I am just a shop grunt/stay at home dad. I assume I am under 30 pounds, but again, I did not weigh it and me no fancy engineer man.