Thursday, February 04, 2016

Back to health, eye on Iditarod

On January 9th, I joined some of my fellow idiots *cough cough* winter endurance riders in the Tuscobia 150.  This year it was 160 miles due to some added mileage and a change of headquarters.  The day before in Rochester we got about 3-4 inches of wet heavy snow.  Me, being an owner/landlord/maintenance guy of three rental properties was tasked to remove said snow from 3 different duplexes using the same snowblower.  Because I am tough and invincible I would lift the 150 pound (I looked it up) cumbersome snowblower into the back of my wagon and unload said machine at each property.  In reality I am old and feeble hurting my lower back.  Nothing that caused day to day living to be intolerable, but it was bothering me.


Anyways, back to the start of the race.  We took off from Rice Lake, WI at 6am, intent on getting to Park Falls 80 miles away and then making the trip back.  I could tell my back was not quite right, did some stretching, and sat behind the sizeable front group.  Eventually that group would get down to six I think (Ben Doom, Dan Lockery, Todd McFadden, Ryan Curtis, Myself, ?????), and I having troubles, was still there.  To my surprise,even with a few stops to stretch, add air to a tire, and deciding to slow down so that I would aggravate the back less, I still would catch the lead group.   The checkpoint 45 some miles in was a quick affair and most of us regrouped soon after.  That is when the nasty back spasms started (not good).  This was soon followed by stomach spasms (related, and also not good).  With my pace down to where I could just barely stay upright and my back at a point there was no getting better I decided to pull out of the race as finishing what was now 110 miles of the race would have been a way to severely hurt myself for a long time.  I was fortunate to get a ride with some friends whom had to lift my bike onto their rack as I was not able.  I would find out that with my tweaked lower back cycling was one of the worse things I could do.

Two weeks, a few chiropractor visits, and tons of daily stretching I found myself on the start line of the famous Arrowhead 135.  A much harder race though a much  more remote area in Northern MN.  The start was fast as Jay Petervary and Will Ross had started a pissing match early on.  My back was still not 100%, tight, but manageable.  The snow was soft and slow going.  I would find myself dealing with my lower back with more standing than normal.

Picture maliciously and viciously stolen from gearjunkie.com

 As we eased towards the first checkpoint about 37 miles in, I was feeling better and led the duo of Todd McFadden and Dan Lockery for a long stretch.  Soon after the checkpoint we were joined by Dan Dittmer.  Ben Doom was somewhere between us and the lead duo.  That is when I hurt myself again.  I fell to my side, nothing horrible though.  My knee took the brunt of the impact and smarted, but my already tender back got tweaked once again.  Once again I found myself barely able to pedal because of my back.  Once again I was forced with the realization that I was not to finish the race.  Once again I found a friend that would load my bike for me and give me a ride.  I lost 40 minutes to Dan in roughly 10 miles because of my back.

Once again I would go to the chiropractor, and despite making my back alignment right, I was still in a lot of pain.  I booked an hour long appointment with his partner that does massage, not typical massage though.  Almost like a physical therapy session and massage combo.  He told me he would be working through my stomach on the Psoas muscle most of the time.  That one hour session did a lot more for me than two weeks of targeted stretching.  I am not perfect, but so close to it I feel confident for Iditarod.


I have been taking easy since Arrowhead, but rode for 4 hours last night.  Close to an hour of TT'ing to Gamehaven to ride the now groomed trails with friends.  Rode well, TT'ed it back.  Best I have felt since injuring my back.  I am riding tons stronger now than either of those races, which puts me at ease.  Amazing what messing up your lower back can do.

24 days till Iditarod....

24 comments:

Unknown said...

that was so fascinating


I found the best Skagway Tours Service

Unknown said...

can i bookmarked this because i want to share this to my friends

I found the best Mesothelioma Lawyer Galveston

Michale Heim said...

I recently went through a lot of back issues as well. It was wreaking havoc on my life, causing spasms all over my body. Everything really is connected in our bodies. One out of whack thing can throw everything else out of alignment. Getting those Chiropractic massages hurt so good! LOL! I really don't know what my quality of life would be like without my Chiropractor.

Michale Heim @ Burke Chiropractic

Unknown said...

Nice article, thanks for the information. You give me some idea's. I will share it to my love ones and friends.thnaks

Ketterman Rowland & Westlund Auto Accident Lawyers

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog post, Thanks for the informative post provided.

Look at these Securities Lawyer

Unknown said...

I have no words for this great post such a awe-some information i got gathered. Thanks to Author.


Highly recommended Inflow Shoretel Support

Unknown said...

Thank you for giving me hours of enjoyment! Your blogs are interesting, beautiful and exciting.


Ketterman Rowland & Westlund Auto Accident Lawyers

Mark Wallace said...

That looks like a fun trip! It looks very cold as well. I once rode my bike in the snow and experienced something similar. After heat was applied to my back, I started to feel somewhat better. Hot stones work wonders with injuries like this, as they are placed on the back in one spot.

Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic-Memphis

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing wonderful information of giving best information. Its more useful and more helpful. Great doing keep sharing.


Wait till you see Securities Attorney

Unknown said...


Very best articles, I happy to read it, Beautiful nice and useful! Thank you very much.

We saw Shoretel Reseller

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing wonderful information.Its more useful and more helpful. Great doing keep sharing.

Time to check Shoretel Support Techs

hazel forenza said...

isn't hard to bike in snow? I would love try this one next time
Time to check Rogue Jets Aluminum Boats

المثالية للتنظيف said...


شركة المثالية للتنظيف - المثالية للتنظيف بالمنطقة الشرقية تسعد بتقديم خدماتها المتميزة للتنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات بالمنطقة الشرقية فتعد الشركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام والخبر والقطيف والجبيل والاحساء وسيهات وجدة
اتصل الان واحصل علي خدمات شركة المثالية بخصم 50% لجميع خدماتها الاتية

المثالية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالخبر
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل

المثالية
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالاحساء
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالقطيف

noname said...

I love riding a bike!
Learn more Thin Brick

شركات نظافة بالجنوب said...

هل تبحث دائما عن شركة تلبي جميع الخدمات المنزلية وتحمل عنكم عبء التنظيف وعبء المكافحة والتخلص التام من الأضرار التالفة في المنزل فعليكم بشركة ركن الامانة فهي أفضل شركة متخصصة في كافة الخدمات المنزلية على أعلى مستوى شركة مكافحة حشرات بابها
شركة تنظيف ببيشة
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بنجران
شركة تنظيف مجالس بابها
شركة تنظيف منازل بابها
شركة تنظيف كنب بخميس مشيط
<

لمار ابراهيم1 said...

Carpet is one of the aesthetic elements that give a touch of taste to the home, and the choice is the key to the elegance of the home, where a carpet must be chosen in the appropriate size of the room, and must be suitable for the color of each room, with the choice of carpets, The furniture was decorated, the carpet should be simple, and if the furniture was of a uniform color, the embossed carpets could be chosen.
افضل شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
افضل شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
افضل شركة نقل عفش بنجران
افضل شركه تنظيف منازل بنجران
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بنجران
افضل شركه تنظيف كنب بنجران
افضل شركه تنظيف فلل بخميس مشيط
افضل شركه نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط
افضل شركه تنظيف مجالس بخميس مشيط
شركه تنظيف بنجران
افضل شركة تنظيف موكيت بخميس مشيط
افضل شركة تنظيف خزانات بنجران
افضل شركة تنظيف منازل بنجران
افضل شركة تنظيف منازل بخميس مشيط

egyptbag said...

افضل انواع شنط سفر الان تتوفر في كبري شركات تصنيع شنط حيث انهم يعملون علي توفير الكثير من ممزيات الكبري في شنط مدرسه الت يتم توافرها باقل الاسعار وافضل انواع شنط حجاج الان

couponcode said...

يمكنك الآن الحصول على اقل الاسعار على جميع منتجات متجر جولي شيك الالكتروني ، كما يمكنك الحصول على اقل الاسعار من شي ان و ذلك عن طريق استخدام كود خصم اي هيرب الذي يقدم اقل الاسعار على جميع منتجات كبرى المتاجر

nisnasscode said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nisnasscode said...

احصل علي افضل المنتجات المتيمزه من موقعنا الان من خلال توفير افضل الملابس و الاحذيه وب افضل الاكسسوارات الان من خلال موقعنا كود نسناس وب اضفل الاسعار تواصلو معنا الان

boughez said...

useful site Bottega Veneta Dolabuy blog here Chrome-Hearts Dolabuy go to website 7a replica bags wholesale

slysashe said...

YOURURL.com replica designer backpacks find out here now replica gucci handbags Homepage replica gucci bags

wheetea said...

visit site e0j99b4u22 replica louis vuitton best replica bags online 2018 replica bags online shopping india read this article e2l15z8b17 replica bags in delhi click now u6r47i7t27 high quality replica bags replica bags online shopping india

Anonymous said...

chrome hearts
fear of god t shirt
off white nike
hermes
off white jordan 1